How do you get your messaging to stick?
Whether it’s marketing your clinic, communicating with patients and stakeholders, or even having difficult conversations, our job as clinicians typically involves some form of patient education or communication.
My guest this week, Darren Schwindaman, runs a marketing & branding firm called Creative Distillery. They specialize in knowledge translation —helping academic institutions, researchers, and government agencies create campaigns and messaging strategies designed to effectively bring new information & ideas to bear on the world around us. Some of his past projects have included things like public health campaigns and education initiatives.
What we cover in this Episode:
- Why do ideas get stuck?
- Blind Spots and their affect on ideas and how we communicate them
- Marketing, Branding, Messaging & their role in Knowledge Translation
- Behavioral Change and its affect on knowledge translation
- The importance of empathy and understanding your subject’s perspective & context
- Why facts aren’t the best method for getting your message to stick
- How identity affects knowledge translation & readiness to accept a message
- How to build your messaging or marketing campaign to increase effectiveness
- Making your message align with your audience’s identity
- The importance of real, in-person conversations to understand the personal context and how it relates to data you might get from surveys or research
Connect with Darren & Creative Distillery:
If you enjoyed this episode: Join Rafael E. Salazar II, MHS, OTR/L (Rafi), principal of Rehab U Practice Solutions and host of The Better Outcomes Show as he explores the possibilities of a new healthcare. Guests range from clinicians trying new techniques and treatments to executives and entrepreneurs exploring new service delivery methods, business models, and organizational structures. You can sign-up to receive new episodes delivered directly to your inbox by filling out the form at the top of this page. Learn more about Rehab U Practice Solutions by reading The Manifesto for a New Healthcare, or listen to Episode 000.
Are You Ready to Take Your Organization to the Next Level?
If you run a clinic or practice and are looking to develop a strategy that leverages best practices, new technology, and marketing/messaging in a way that maximizes patient engagement & retention, please reach out. We’d love to talk with you about how Rehab U Practice Solutions can help your clinic bring in more patients, retain them throughout their course of care, and create uniquely impactful patient experiences.
Rafael E. Salazar II, MHS, OTR/L is the president and CEO of Rehab U Practice Solutions. He has experience in a variety of rehab settings, working with patients recovering from a variety of injuries and surgeries. He worked as the lead clinician in an outpatient specialty clinic at his local VA Medical center. He also has experience as an adjunct faculty instructor at Augusta University’s Occupational Therapy Program, as a Licensed Board Member on the GA State OT Board, has served on several committees for the national OT Board (NBCOT), and as a consultant working for the State of Georgia’s DBHDD. He is also on the Board of Directors for NBCOT. He works to help healthcare clinics and organizations deliver uniquely impactful patient experiences by improving service delivery through training & advisement and through courses & training programs.